Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Evil Hormones



When the hormones are correctly working and evenly balanced, life is good for all involved. The husband is happy and the wives are at peace with the world, but when the hormones are off, look out world. The gentle kind woman that we love is now a raging uncontrollable mad woman. She is a force to sit up and avoid at all costs.

When we were first married and I experienced this event first hand, it really scared the hell out of me to see this kind woman all of a sudden become a woman possessed with her head spinning around and spiraling out of control. I felt as if I was the priest in the Exorcist with little faith holding a cross in one hand and holy water in the other, walking into the bedroom seeing Bobbie tied to the bed post her eyes rolled behind her head laughing manically and facing the demons that have taken residence in Bobbie’s body.  Not a pretty picture is it, (Well Bobbie tied to the bed post, yes)

thus the fighting and arguing started. As the years gone by, I learned to ignore her and left her to her vices because in a few days she would be her sweet normal adorable self again.

Fast forward decades later. We found DD and started to implement it into our lifestyle and the honeymoon was great. There was peace and happiness in the Vader household. Then came the evil imbalance of the hormones Bobbie spinning like a top, ranting and raving about all things that she perceives as evil and wrong mainly with me. Then with excitement the new super hero HOH (me) jumps in with both feet thinking I can now control the beast and then quickly resorted back to my old ways of fighting toe to toe with her. Only to get my ass kicked. As I was crawling back to my cave with tattered cloths licking my wounds once again wondering what just happened in there. This went on for the first 6 months some fights I would win a lot of others I would lose.

Realizing that nothing had really changed, all I really had to show for the past 6 months was a title saying that I was the HOH of no one not even me. I didn’t want to go back to the way it was so I did some more research on how to become the HOH that I wanted to be.

During my extensive research of about a few hours I found a hidden gem that could help me be a good HOH and that was “I have to be the HOH of myself.”

“What” I said, after pondering over the meaning of this new gold nugget I have found I realized that if Bobbie was to change I had to change first. So I learned to control my anger not to jump to conclusions and not have such thin skin getting my feelings hurt every time she said something hurtful and above all this to be able to convey to Bobbie what it was that I wanted or what was wrong with what we are doing.

Back to the drawing board we went and once again started to talk about our expectations of what we wanted to accomplish in this new adventure. We set clear and precise goals and we would review them once a week. We reset the clock back to day one. Again all was fine for a couple of weeks then the evil hormones possessed her once again and then as before all reasoning left her again.

The kind of new HOH ears perked up. But this time instead of jumping in with both feet into the mouth of the lion’s den and arguing with her, I watched closely to what she was doing and then calmly told her to calm down. More often than not this worked if I caught it in the beginning stages and if it went too far then most other times not so much.

I found some useful tools. Watching and talking gently. Those were good tools because it had a soothing effect on her madness. She seemed to focus on what I was saying so she was able to find her way back to normality.

Other tools that I have found to work when the evil hormones show up and is out of control is discipline. Sometimes a smack on the butt works and at other times when sterner measures are necessary something has to be taken away from her to focus on us and the situation at hand.

As the months go by, I am winning more battles than losing. I now notice that I am listening to Bobbie now and instead of blindly fighting back I can see my opponent for what it really is. Not the evil hormones all the time but it was a lack of communication. The basic tool every person needs to survive any type of relationship. Just good old common sense communication skills.


Bob

14 comments:

  1. LOL Bob! I'm glad you two are figuring it out. Sometimes the horror moan shift is a bit more subtle around here and we don't realize what's going on till they are almost back to normal. Then we look back over the last few days and laugh at how I was trying so hard but it was impossible. Yeah, more communication needed I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol so true Susie sometimes you don't know what it is until it is to late .
      I like the new name horror moans
      Bob

      Delete
  2. LOL you're a brave man, Bob. I'm afraid to jump into the ring with my own hormones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I don’t know if I would call it brave lol
      Bob

      Delete
  3. Hey Bob...happy to see you are working it out. Matthew used to say that even though we can't always control our emotions, we can control how we express that behavior even when hormones sometimes try to get the best of us. If I got out of control (yelling, disrespect, or my personal devil - sarcasm), I was definitely going to receive a reset. As you said...just good old common sense communication. ;)

    Blessings...
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi cat
      Matthew is right about your still responsible for your actions but if I recognize what is happening before she implodes I try talking her down from the ledge.

      Bob

      Delete
  4. The one good blog post after another!
    But this is my favorite. lol ..

    Communication and will are the only thing needed to improve one's marriage. Everything else comes from improved communication. Becoming aware of the problem, attack it and change behavior.
    And to change oneself, before one expects at the others to change their minds. You have picked any point, Bob.
    (So tell me, have punishmet any sense at all?)
    I can not see it anyway.)

    Very well done, Bob.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mona
      Yes you are right that communication is the only thing you need but what do you do when all reasoning doesn't exist any more?
      Bob

      Delete
  5. How refreshing to see a DD blog written by a man! I love this post, because it shows that you truly are paying attention and want what's best for you and your woman. That's all a girl can ask for :) I'm glad that you see the fact that female hormonal shifts produce irrational and erratic behavior, just know that as bad as it is for you, it's worse for her because she can't escape herself. There have been many times that I knew my reactions to things or thoughts didn't make sense and I could hear myself calling out from somewhere far away to fight those feelings and be reasonable. But the score remains at Hormones: 206 River: 0. It's an incredible thing to have someone to help you through it who understands what to do, and your lady is a luck one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thank you River Wild for the very kind review of me, is there a way you can come over and convince Bobbie that? Lol
      Yes, I try to talk her out of things before it goes to far because I realize that she is not balanced right
      Bob

      Delete
  6. LoL Bob, some wise words ... watching and talking gently.

    Hugs,
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roz
      Lol, when she is out of control it is best to proceed slowly and gently to quit the beast
      Bob

      Delete
  7. Bob, if you think those hormones are scary from the outside looking in, you should see them from the inside looking out! You're a very brave man to even attempt the battle. And, a very wise one to figure out how best to do it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Sir,
    I love your blog and can only agree with Roz -> wise words ... watching and talking gently.
    It shows how much you care for your wife and that is so lovely.

    ReplyDelete